Buying and selling real estate can be both exciting and stressful. In the state of Florida, you might be wondering if you should hire an attorney to assist you, or whether you should go at it alone to avoid the extra cost.
While the hiring of an attorney is not required in the state of Florida, it should be noted that failing to hire a real estate attorney to guide you through the process might end up costing you in the long run.
Having an experienced attorney on your side can be the difference between a smooth transaction or a difficult process. Real estate attorneys are extensively trained in the law surrounding all facets of such transactions, providing peace of mind throughout the entire process from opening escrow through closing.
Sometimes real estate transactions become complicated. Outlined below are specific instances when buyers and sellers should give serious consideration to hiring an attorney:
- You are an out-of-town buyer.
- You are buying a property that is a short sale or bank-owned.
- You are buying a property that is part of an estate sale.
- You are buying a commercial property.
- You are buying a property that could potentially have some structural issues.
- You are buying a property in a problematic area such as a flood zone or areas with adverse conditions (hurricane-prone, radon, toxicity levels, etc…).
- You are selling a property that is in some state of distress.
- You are the heir or executor of a property whose owner is now deceased.
- You are selling a house with an uncooperative partner.
- You have judgments or liens on the property.
- You have a gut feeling that something could possibly go wrong based on knowledge you have about the property.
To avoid a real estate attorney fee, it might be tempting to rely solely on your real estate agent and/or title company to assist you, but many professionals in the field advise that you should always hire an attorney as an added level of protection for one of the largest purchases or sales in your life.
We invite you to contact our office for real estate attorney representation in Florida. Our title company is attorney based and inherently carries the benefit of having a legal professional watching over your transaction for little to no additional fee.
The Law Office of Donna Hearne-Gousse